Monuments of History and Ethnography and the territory of Vinnytsia region
There are lots of places of interest linked with the famous historical events and the popular arts in the Vinnytsia region. There are many interesting settlements for ethnographers on the territory of our region. Every inhabitant of Podilia can tell about some popular and interesting places of interest. The largest amount of scientific information and exhibits is situated in the halls of the museum of regional studies in Vinnytsia. The historical-architectural complex “Mury”, the memorial of national significance, houses the museum of regional studies. This complex is the oldest building in the city.\r\n
The first mention of the historical-architectural complex “Mury” in the historical sources dates back to the XVII century, when the city of Vinnytsia became economical and administrative center of the Bratslav’s province of Poland. The population of city was 4000 of people. This complex was used as the defensive installation during the war. The Dominican and the Jesuit Monasteries formed the common defensive system. The walls of the Monasteries were guarded by officers and the inhabitants of the city were inside. It was used as a defense fortification during the XVII-XVIII c.c. The Jesuit Monastery was built by the headman from Bratslav in 1611. The wooden building existed till 1613, it was injured in a fire. In the XVIII century the monastery was built of brick and stone. The main building housed Roman Catholic church, the collegium with facades in a baroque style, with abutments on the southern side of the monastery. Now the edifice houses Archives of the Vinnytsia region. The monastic cells of the XVIII-XIX c.c. house the Vinnytsia’s museum of regional studies.\r\n
In 1624 it started to build the Dominican monastery. At first it was the edifice built of wood, in 1760 it was built of brick. The edifice of Roman Catholic church which housed Transfiguration’s cathedral, monastic cells, stables have been preserved up to the present day. The defensive walls were destroyed, only the fragments and the corner western tower survived.\r\n
The historical places of interest in the village of Chertvetinovka, Trostianetsk district are linked with the events of the national liberation movement of the Ukrainian people under the guidance of Bogdan Hmelnitskij. On May, 1652 in a field near the Batig River the Polish armies were defeated by the Cossacks army and the Crimean Tartar cavalries. The Cossack’s draw well witnessed the events which had happened during that time. In 1996 the monument was built as a memorial to this decisive battle. In 1990 the historical museum was opened in the village, which acquaints visitors with the household objects, with the ethnographic memorials and with the paleontological finds.\r\n
In the village of Krupoderintsy, Pogrebischensk district, an interesting complex of historical memorials is located which consists of a house built in the middle of the XIX century. In 1880 this house was bought by the count Nickolay Ignatiev – diplomat and politician of the Russian empire that became famous for his participation in the struggle for liberation of Bulgaria from the Turkish invaders. In 1895 the count assigned means to build the church with crypt according to the project of the architect A. Pomarantsev. It was the reducible copy of the cathedral located in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. The count Nickolay Ignatiev was buried in the crypt. The watermill, built in 1896 on the Ros River, has been preserved. The impressive and interesting history of the ceramics of Podilia everyone can see thanks to the exhibition of the Museum of ceramics located in the village of Novoselovka, Gaysin district. The estate of two famous masters Jakiv and Jakim Gerasymenko houses the museum. The collection consists of the works of brothers Gerasymenko, M. Babak, F. Mischenko, T. Shpak. The museum was opened in 1988 in commemoration of the 100th birthday of Jakim Gerasymenko. The Bubnovsk’s ceramics are represented in the exhibition.\r\n
According to the historical documents, the first settlement on the territory of the village of Novoselovka appeared in the XVI century. The Pototskys owned the village. The first mention of the ceramics in the village of Bubnovka dates back to the XVII century. It became very popular.\r\n
The local masters specialized on making the tableware such as pottery, plates, bowls; the ceramics for building (the tiles from the XVII century). The ceramic toys, icons etc occupied a special place among the earthenware.