Tulchin

The palace of the Potostkys in Tulchin is one of the most prominent memorials of classicism. The palace was built in 1782 in the center of the town of Tulchin according to the project of the French architect Lacrua. There was an inscription on the building “Always will be the home for independent and devout persons”. The ensemble of structures consists of palace, theatre (it was rebuilt), riding house, stables which haven’t been preserved up to the present day, greenhouses, Turkish baths, rooms and service buildings and two side wings.

The planning of palace is made by the suite of rooms. Unfortunately, the architectural refinement of all ensembles hasn’t been preserved up to the present day. Its elements can be found only in the main vestibule. The large stairs lead to the first floor where the gala rooms were located. The facades of some buildings were the part of the development of town.

The palace was surrounded by the park “Horoshe” which was laid by the architect Lenro. There were lakes, fountains, sculptures in the park. The Pototskys also owned the smaller palace. The both palaces were linked by the subterranean passage, according to the legend four horses could walk there.

Stanislav Schensnyj (Feliks) Potostky (1751-1805) was one of the richest polish magnates, a famous politician. His parents, Franzigek Saleza and Anna Elgbeta, from his childhood wanted to see their son in the role of famous politician and predicted him to come to the throne of Rich Pospolyta. In 1780 he settled with his wife in Tulchin. He started to build the Dominican church near the palace in 1786. There was a big yard near the palace. Their estate in Tulchin was called “Versailles of Podilia”. The modest town was turned into an active town by the complex of buildings where cloth, saddles, carts, linen, fire arms were made.

Potostky was the supporter and the benefactor of these lands. But after the next marriage he moved in Uman. He built a famous in the whole world the park of Sophia for his wife Sophia. During the Crimean war 50 rooms of palace were used as hospital.

After the departure of the Potostkys from Tulchin in 1878, the military department took hold of the palace. In 1911 the palace housed the military barracks of 76 Kuban’s infantry regiment. In 1986-1974 the building was used by different military units. After the restoration the building housed the specialized school of fine arts.